Thursday, May 26, 2011

two little girls giggle

Yesterday, I spent a couple hours with my dear friend J and Kailey with her dear friend... M.

It was a pretty normal playdate. Two moms drinking coffee and two little five and six year old girls giggling.

One difference, we just happen to be in a hospital room.

Our friend M, a spicy little princess from Hunan, needs blood transfusions every three weeks, and recently has had to be admitted every three weeks for three days of intense chelation therapy.

So, we thought we'd break up their hospital room monotony and visit. (OK, I'll admit it, it was just an excuse to have coffee with my friend).

I so WISH I had my camera! Darn. It was such a moment worth capturing.

Two little girls, one who happened to be hooked up to an IV, giggled and giggled... and ate chocolate ice cream with sprinkles and painted each others' finger and toenails... and giggled.

I couldn't help but think about how people are surprised or question "why special needs?"... I'm so immersed in the special needs adoption community, I don't even think about it.

So, M has a special need (as does our Grace). Well, I guess? We DID just have a playdate in a hospital room.

But, when I saw those girls sitting in the hospital bed yesterday... one hooked up to an IV, the other not. I just couldn't help but think how M's special need does NOT define her. Just as Grace's special need does NOT define her.

They are just little girls.

Their greatest needs were never the medical diagnosis listed on their adoption papers.

Their greatest need...

A FAMILY.


Trust me, it's worth the click.






No comments:

Post a Comment