Sunday, August 28, 2011

more firsts

We have been so blessed that one of us has been able to be home with Grace the last six months. I am so grateful we have had this time. From February to June I was home. When Steve was out of school for the summer in June, I went back to work and he stayed home. It worked out really well.


Now, it is time for school to start and our lives to return to "normal"... with both of us working.

Last week, for the first time, Grace was left all day with someone other than me or Steve. My cousin watched all four kids all day long. Grace did great. But, with her siblings around... I wasn't surprised. Her siblings are her security blanket. If they are comfortable... she seems to sense that it is OK for her to be comfortable.

Today, was the first time at daycare. It was trial run.. she only went for a couple hours. This would be the first time without her siblings around.

She did great. She did not cry. She did not whine. and she played and played!

I'm grateful. I truly am. I can't imagine leaving her at daycare with her screaming.

But, at the same time... I can't help but think.... what does this mean?

I REALLY try not to read into everything. You could really drive yourself crazy. But, I just can't help but wonder if her easy transition to daycare has anything to do with her attachment to us, or lack thereof?

I always comment on her independence. She is so incredibly independent. Sometimes in a good way... but sometimes I wonder... has 17 months living in an institutional setting forced her to learn independence as a wee little one, far before any child should?

Sigh.

As usual, I don't have answers. Just questions.

Anyway, we will gladly accept that she was happy at daycare. And we hope she learns to love her teachers... as we do. They are fantastic.

But, there will always be that part of me that worries and wonders.









No comments:

Post a Comment